FAQS FOR PROSPECTIVE GENERATOR OWNERS
WHY GENERAC? ▼
Since 1959, Generac has been designing and manufacturing backup power generators for residential, commercial and industrial applications. They have grown to be the world’s largest provider of residential standby generators, selling five times as many generators as all of their competitors combined. Generac’s broad product line ranges in output from 800 watts to 9 megawatts, and are available through the industry’s largest network of independent generator dealers, retailers and wholesalers.
WHERE ARE THEY MADE? ▼
DESCRIPTION OF OPERATION
WHAT IS AN AUTOMATIC STANDBY GENERATOR? ▼
WHY SHOULD I BUY AN AUTOMATIC STANDBY GENERATOR INSTEAD OF A PORTABLE GENERATOR? ▼
During a utility power outage, an automatic standby generator provides numerous advantages over a portable generator:
- The American Red Cross recommends permanently installed standby generators as a safer way to provide backup power to a home than a portable generator.
- With an automatic standby generator properly installed outside, your home is protected from deadly carbon monoxide poisoning that is a much greater risk with portable generators.
- Running on the home’s natural gas or LP fuel supply, it is less expensive to run than gasoline and does not need to be refilled.
- They start automatically within seconds of a power outage, and eliminate the need to haul a portable generator outside or run extension cords throughout your home.
- They provide protection 24/7, whether you’re home or away, and they turn themselves off when utility power returns, so there is no need to monitor the unit during an outage.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN AUTOMATIC AIR-COOLED GENERATOR AND AN AUTOMATIC LIQUID-COOLED GENERATOR? ▼
CAN AN AUTOMATIC STANDBY GENERATOR REPLACE UTILITY SERVICE? ▼
HOW DO I CORRECTLY SIZE A GENERATOR FOR MY HOME? ▼
Other systems are available to cover virtually any application:Essential Circuit Coverage – Generac takes the guesswork out of sizing by offering prepackaged Guardian Series generator systems. The generator is paired with a transfer switch containing a predetermined number of circuits based on the generator’s kW power rating. Each circuit is directly connected to a matched circuit on the home’s main circuit breaker panel, providing electricity to that specific appliance or area of the home. For example, eight circuits are supplied by the 7.5kW generator. With this system, you could connect
- lights and TV in the family room,
- microwave and lights in the kitchen,
- power to the bathroom,
- computer and home office,
- garage door opener,
- window air conditioner, and
Managed Whole House Coverage – You can get more coverage with less generator, up to whole house coverage, by pairing a smaller generator with one of Generac’s Nexus™ load shedding switch options. This creates a managed power solution where non-essential circuits are shed when the generator approaches maximum capacity. They are cycled back on when essential circuits no longer require power, so all circuits receive power at different times.
Complete Whole House Coverage – Easily cover every circuit in your home by pairing one of Generac’s larger kW units and the proper transfer switch to provide full coverage. No circuit is ever left uncovered, so every appliance is available every minute.
CAN I INSTALL THE GENERATOR MYSELF? ▼
Yes, you have complete freedom to purchase the generator on-line and install it yourself. Click here for tips on buying a generator and selecting an installer. For safety reasons and to ensure adherence to all local, state and national electrical codes, Generac recommends you hire us. We are your local generator experts and can provide the complete installation including:
- Free site visit and generator sizing.
- Furnish and install generator and automatic transfer switch.
- Furnish and install electric and gas connections.
- Obtain permit and application to Nicor.
- Perform start-up and maintenance.
WHAT IS THE COST FOR AN INSTALLED SYSTEM? ▼
Contact us for a free quotation.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO INSTALL AN AUTOMATIC STANDBY GENERATOR? ▼
The actual installation process is typically performed in a single day. The entire process including obtaining a permit and obtaining Nicor’s response, typically requires 2 – 4 weeks.